Jamestown Historical Society

Author: Steve

Conanicut Golf Club golfers in 1896. Elsie Bleecker, the woman on the far right, is listed as a member of the Conanicut Golf Club in 1896. The others in the photographs are unidentified.
Shared Article

The Conanicut Golf Club

Golf became popular in the United States in the late 1880s and Jamestown’s summer residents were among the earliest enthusiasts.

Read More
Article

Library Exhibit, September 2021: Hotel Room Keys

The September exhibit in the JHS library display case features Jamestown’s many resort hotels and the room keys they used. The earliest full-service hotel was the Bay View, opened by William Knowles, one of the last sail ferry captains, in 1882.

Read More
Shared Article

Ellen Tucker Cottrell

Ellen Tucker, the eldest child of Pardon and Sarah Waite Tucker, was born three days after Christmas in 1847 at the Hutchinson farm on North Road.

Read More
Gabe Truck
Article

2021 Preview Party – And Farm Tour

Because of restraints of the COVID pandemic, this year’s members fundraiser was a combination of a cocktail party held on August 26 at the lovely 1927 Sarah Cresswell cottage, which had been recently restored and beautifully landscaped, and guided tours of three of Jamestown’s farms.

Read More
feature-image-1
Shared Article

Collecting and Sharing Jamestown History

In the summer of 1912, Elizabeth Carr Locke, a California-based descendant of Caleb Carr who was in Jamestown for the summer, had 200 posters printed and distributed around the island asking anybody interested in forming a historical society to meet at Town Hall on August 19.

Read More