Author: JHS

Jamestown Golf 3
Article

From the Collection – Golf in Jamestown

Just as golf was becoming popular in the U.S. in the late nineteenth century, Jamestown’s first golf course, a 9-hole Conanicut Golf Club was officially formed in 1895. Six holes were located south of Hamilton Avenue, mostly on the pastures of the Cottrell Farm north of Blueberry Lane and west of Walcott Avenue.

Read More
Battery Day 2022
Article

Battery Day 2022

Battery Day sponsored by the Jamestown Historical Society was held on May 21, 2022 at the Conanicut Battery. The 2nd Rhode Island Continental Regiment, the Kingston Reds, the 54th Regiment of Foot demonstrated Revolutionary War tactics and artillery at the battery before an enthusiastic crowd of attendees.

Read More
2022 Spring Newsletter
Article

2022 Spring Newsletter

Our Spring 2022 Newsletter is now available for download. Don’t miss the committee reports of all the things that we’ve been working on while at home.

Read More
flower-show-logo
Article

From the Collection – Flower Shows

In 1827 the Philadelphia Horticultural Society hosted the first American flower show with the aim “to inspire taste for one of the most rational and pleasing amusements of man”. Flower shows have played important roles for most gardeners and Jamestown proved no different.

Read More
Windmill Invitation
Article

Library Exhibit, April 2022: You Are Invited

Invitations have called Jamestowners to many events over the years. An invitation, hand-signed by John L. Smith, Chairman of the Jamestown Bridge Committee, invited the recipient and their guests to the dedication of the Jamestown Bridge on August 3, 1940.

Read More
Shared Article

Women in Our Post Office

The first post office in Jamestown was established in 1847. At the time, women were less than 1 percent of federal Postmasters, and the Postmaster’s salary was a percentage of the stamps sold. Mail was not delivered door-to-door; it was held by the Postmaster for pick up.

Read More
Cap commemorating the reunion of the students of Jamestown’s Carr School, the grammar school until 1955, and the Thomas H. Clarke School, the middle school from 1921 to 1955.
Article

Library Exhibit, March 2022: Baseball Caps

Back in 1849, there was a New York City baseball team called the Knickerbockers. During their games, they wore straw caps to protect themselves from the sun. This was the first version of the billed cap we know as a baseball cap.

Read More