Jamestown Historical Society

Author: Steve

Mackerel Cove Beach Pavilion
Article

Mackerel Cove Beach Pavilion

In 1927, construction of a beach pavilion, a town facility, began. The pavilion was designed by Ralph G. P. Hull (1885-1941), a local Jamestown building contractor. The 272-foot-long pavilion opened in July 1928.

Read More
The Holy Ghost Society’s crown of Espirito Santo. Introduced to Jamestown in 1922, the crown was passed from Portuguese household to household for decades. The current keeper is Fran Lopes.
Shared Article

Tradition of Portuguese crown dies with younger generation

Most of the Portuguese immigrants who came to Jamestown at the turn of the 20th century were from the Azores, an archipelago in the mid-Atlantic about 900 miles off the Portuguese coast. Many of these immigrants spoke of their homeland as the Western Isles rather than Portugal.

Read More
A view looking south
Article

Thorndike Hotel

In the halcyon days when Jamestown was a summer resort, visitors stayed in hotels and cottages for weeks at a time. One of the premier hotels was the Thorndike (sometimes spelled Thorndyke). It was located where BankNewport is now.

Read More
Article

Town Hall: License Exhibit

The new exhibit mounted by the Jamestown Historical Society in the mini-exhibit case in the foyer of Town Hall features licenses and license applications from the JHS collection.

Read More
Dumpling Fort
Article

The Art of Old Fort Dumpling

For over 100 years Fort Dumpling stood at the southeast tip of the main part of Conanicut Island looming over 85’ granite outcroppings that dropped to the sea.

Read More
Henry O. Remington (Rice Family Collection. Photo from Newport History, Vol. 97, No. 286)
Shared Article

Remington Only Local Slave to Buy Freedom

Orman Remington was enslaved at Gershom Remington’s farm, which is now Watson Farm, on North Road. He was the only known slave in Jamestown’s history to purchase his own freedom, an exceptionally rare event that often was enabled by other people assisting with payment.

Read More
White porcelain perfume bottle from the colonial era
Article

Mini-exhibit: Bottles

The new exhibit mounted by the Jamestown Historical Society in the mini–exhibit case in the foyer of Town Hall features bottles of all kinds from the JHS collection. The oldest bottle shown is a white porcelain perfume bottle from the colonial era.

Read More
Carr School
Article

Carr School

The Carr School was built in 1889 on the site now anchored by McQuade’s Market. It was a large two-story building serving grades K-4 and was in use until 1955 when the Lawn Avenue School was built.

Read More