Jamestown Historical Society

Share this Page

Town Pound

Hours, Directions & Details

East side of North Road, north of Route 138 | Jamestown, RI 02835

Visit during daylight anytime. Park carefully by the side of the road.

History of the Town Pound

Townspeople corralled stray farm animals into pounds while awaiting retrieval by their owners. Ferryman Amaziah K. Gorton in 1861 built today’s surviving pound, located on North Road using the stones from an earlier 1770 pound. It measures 40 by 40 feet and is the town’s sixth pound. It was restored in 2015 by Boy Scout Jacob Maguire for the JHS and was cited as best-preserved of the 11 remaining pounds in Rhode Island. Interpretive signage details the history of Jamestown animal pounds.

Become a JHS Member

Help preserve & share the history of Jamestown, RI. Maintain the Museum, the Windmill, the Meetinghouse and the Conanicut Battery. Preserve the Society’s collection of documents, photographs and artifacts.