Author: JHS

Plum Beach Lighthouse Original
Article

From the Collection – Plum Beach Lighthouse

This lighthouse is located in the West Passage just north of the Jamestown Bridge. It was completed in 1899 and served to warn vessels away from the Plum Beach shoal which extended east from the Narragansett shore toward Conanicut Island.

Read More
Work Projects Administration Plaque
Article

Library Exhibit, February 2022: Signs and Plaques

The JHS library exhibit for February displays some of the smaller signs and plaques from the Jamestown Historical Society’s collection of signs. Many of the larger ones are on permanent display in the town’s Recreation Center lobby and the back stairwell of Town Hall.

Read More
Camp Mead – Approximate – Map of Conanicut Island-Watson-1875.jpg Approximate location of Camp Meade shown against the 1875 map of Conanicut Island compiled by William Dame of Newport and published by Daniel Watson, a Jamestown and Newport realtor. (Detail of copy in New York Public Library)
Shared Article

Camp Meade

Camp Meade (sometimes spelled Mead) was the training camp for the Third Rhode Island Cavalry. It was established between June 26 and August 18, 1863, and probably named for General George Gordon Meade who had just taken command of the Army of the Potomac.

Read More
The yule log fireplace built at East Ferry in 1950.
Shared Article

The Jamestown Holiday Season over the Years

During the holiday season in the 21st century Christians of many faiths celebrate the birthday of Jesus with Christmas parties and presents. Jews gather for Hanukkah, the festival of lights. Americans of African heritage express their unity at Kwanzaa.

Read More
Article

From the Collection – Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge

The initial contract for building the Jamestown-Verrazzano bridge was awarded in December 1984 to Clarke-Fitzpatrick Inc., the lowest of six bidders at $63.9 million. Ground was broken September 26. 1985, and construction began. Estimated time to complete – three years.

Read More