
A Civil War Veteran Reports
In honor of Veterans Day, we are excerpting a Civil War veteran’s story, edited by Rosemary Enright and Sue Maden.

In honor of Veterans Day, we are excerpting a Civil War veteran’s story, edited by Rosemary Enright and Sue Maden.

Our online collection has many items from 1763 to 2020 describing the votes and voters of Jamestown.

Gustavus Adolphus Clarke, known as G. Adolphus, was one of Jamestown’s many descendants of Joseph Clarke, one of the original purchasers of Conanicut Island. He was born in Jamestown in 1839, eighth of the nine children of David Wright and Sarah Chaffee Clarke. He was in his mid-teens when his father died and his mother moved with the younger children to Newport.

Members of the Jamestown Historical Society who grew up on Conanicut Island or spent their summers here will recognize many of the businesses that are found in the JHS Financial records.

In the late 19thcentuy, Jamestown’s population ballooned and the number of farmers, who grew most of their own food, decreased. Purchased produce was in demand, and grocery stores proliferated.

For the first 30 plus years of their lives the two Tennant sisters lived uneventful lives in their father’s home on Narragansett Avenue. Born in Jamestown in 1873 and 1874 respectively, Hester and Emilie went to Jamestown’s South School in the days of one-room schoolhouses when the ninth grade was the highest grade taught.

On October 18, 1930, almost a year after the Great Depression started with the stock market crash on Black Friday, many Jamestowners received a bounty from the sea.

The new brass plaque, sponsored by a grant from the William Pomeroy Foundation, was placed on the mill this summer. The windmill has been on the National Register of Historic Places since 1973.

In early Jamestown through the first half of the 20th century, the area that is now Beavertail State Park was a popular fishing ground. As early as 1754, the Newport Colonial Lighthouse Committee had guaranteed a Right of Way to the water around the lighthouse.

Mackerel Cove, Jamestown’s Town Beach, was popular as early as 1890 when L. W. Barringer of Philadelphia proposed to the Town Council the building of a pavilion and bath houses on the site.
Sign up if you do not want to become a member at this time, but would like to receive the JHS public announcements, articles, and news updates. Members do not need to sign up here as they will automatically receive all this and invitations to members-only events as well when they join. The JHS will never share the email addresses in our database.
The Jamestown
Historical Society
PO Box 156
Jamestown, RI
02835