Jamestown Historical Society

Share this Page

Jamestown Town Hall

Hours, Directions & Details

93 Narragansett Avenue | Jamestown, RI 02835

See www.jamestownri.gov for hours.

History of Jamestown Town Hall

For over 200 years, Jamestown lacked both a formal Town Hall and a Town Clerk’s office. The town erected the Town Hall in 1883. By 1914, town business outgrew the original building, prompting the addition of a Town Clerk’s office on the front. Over the years, the growing town services expanded to other buildings. Finally, in 2006, the town built a new Town Hall and renovated the original building to become the Council Chamber.

Jamestown has a proud history, and JHS exhibits throughout the Town Hall share the town’s past with visitors.

Exhibits at the Jamestown Town Hall

Land Agreement Pre-purchase Contract, 1657: A specially designed, sealed case in the first-floor hallway features the authentic 1657 manuscript along with a transcription of the document and explanatory material.

Jamestown Historical Society Display Case: JHS creates a new exhibit in the lobby each month.

Jamestown in the Resort Era: 1875-1930: The JHS features a montage of photographs and signage from the era in the back stairwell.

Art from the Jamestown Historical Society Collection: Pictures, maps, and charts of Jamestown from the society’s collection decorate the second-floor walls.

Town Weights and Measures: Antique scales, weights, and measures used by the town “sealer” to authenticate volumes and weights are on display in the Council Chamber.

Jamestown Government: The story of Jamestown’s evolving seat of government is told through a series of photos and documents on the front stairwell.

April Exhibit in Town Hall: Some of Our Favorite Things

The April 2024 exhibit features objects in the JHS collection that are seldom exhibited.

Land Agreement Prepurchase Contract, 1657

The original, signed prepurchase agreement was acquired by the Jamestown Historical Society in 2005.
dock and Gardner

Jamestown in the Resort Era

The Resort Era is celebrated in a permanent exhibit in the back stairwell of the Jamestown Town Hall.
1884
1914
2007
Jamestown's First Town Hall
After over 200 years without a designated building in which to conduct town business, a Town Hall is built on Narragansett Avenue. The building houses the council chambers, the Town Clerk’s office, and the police department.
Town Clerk’s Office Added
Town business overflows the original building. An office for the Town Clerk is built on the front of the Town Hall.
A New Town Hall
The original Town Hall is renovated and becomes the Council Chamber. A connected building houses the town offices. The prepurchase agreement among the purchasers of Conanicut and Dutch islands, which the JHS bought in 2005, is put on permanent display in the new building. Several exhibits of historic artifacts are mounted throughout the building in the years that follow.

Become a JHS Member

Help preserve & share the history of Jamestown, RI. Maintain the Museum, the Windmill, the Meetinghouse and the Conanicut Battery. Preserve the Society’s collection of documents, photographs and artifacts.