Jamestown Historical Society

Author: Steve

Windmill Invitation
Article

Library Exhibit, April 2022: You Are Invited

Invitations have called Jamestowners to many events over the years. An invitation, hand-signed by John L. Smith, Chairman of the Jamestown Bridge Committee, invited the recipient and their guests to the dedication of the Jamestown Bridge on August 3, 1940.

Read More
Shared Article

Women in Our Post Office

The first post office in Jamestown was established in 1847. At the time, women were less than 1 percent of federal Postmasters, and the Postmaster’s salary was a percentage of the stamps sold. Mail was not delivered door-to-door; it was held by the Postmaster for pick up.

Read More
Cap commemorating the reunion of the students of Jamestown’s Carr School, the grammar school until 1955, and the Thomas H. Clarke School, the middle school from 1921 to 1955.
Article

Library Exhibit, March 2022: Baseball Caps

Back in 1849, there was a New York City baseball team called the Knickerbockers. During their games, they wore straw caps to protect themselves from the sun. This was the first version of the billed cap we know as a baseball cap.

Read More
Plum Beach Lighthouse Original
Article

From the Collection – Plum Beach Lighthouse

This lighthouse is located in the West Passage just north of the Jamestown Bridge. It was completed in 1899 and served to warn vessels away from the Plum Beach shoal which extended east from the Narragansett shore toward Conanicut Island.

Read More
Work Projects Administration Plaque
Article

Library Exhibit, February 2022: Signs and Plaques

The JHS library exhibit for February displays some of the smaller signs and plaques from the Jamestown Historical Society’s collection of signs. Many of the larger ones are on permanent display in the town’s Recreation Center lobby and the back stairwell of Town Hall.

Read More