Jamestown Historical Society

JHS Articles

Use the filter below to view articles by type.

JHS Article Type Filter

Jamestown Historical Society Launches Dynamic New Website

The new improved JHS website jamestownhistoricalsociety.org was unveiled last week after months of work by several dedicated JHS volunteers.
George-Whitely

George Whitley, Rhode Island Jonnycakes

George Whitley spoke about the history of this special corn and the milling of it, and he made jonnycakes with flint corn for all attendees to enjoy.
crock

Ceramic Pot

This small ceramic pot with its lid is believed to have come across the bay in the house that became the Bay Voyage hotel.
Connie Armbrust

Connie Armbrust

Jamestown is a haven for writers and artists, and one of our treasures was Constance Armbrust, known to everyone as “Connie.”
Revolutionary War Farm

Revolutionary War took toll on town’s ‘rural character’

A decade ago, residents declared the overarching goal of their community plan should be to “protect Jamestown’s rural character.”
harbor-view

Harbor View

In 1887, Captain Abbott Chandler, who ran a small boat business, renting rowboats and sailboats from his floating pier south of the East Ferry wharf, hired Charles Bevins to build a boardinghouse for seamen on Conanicus, then called Shore, Avenue.
Chandler House, later Harbor View, about 1900. From a glass negative.

137-Year Transformation from Boardinghouse to Condos

Abbott Chandler, a 30-year-old merchant mariner who had made nine voyages around South America to the Pacific Ocean, arrived in Jamestown about 1880.
Tiny Photos Attached to Larger Documents 1

Tiny Photos Attached to Larger Documents

The Jamestown Historical Society has more than 11,000 photographs in its collection. Six of these are unique because they are tiny visuals that are attached to larger documents: two postcards, two envelopes, a Christmas card, and a card about a movie theater.

Polish couple settles into life at West Ferry

Among the men who served at Fort Greble and stayed to become a Jamestown resident was Antoni Piliski. He was born in late 1874 or early 1875 in an area of northeastern Poland that had been annexed by Russia in the late 18th century.
Elmer V. Newton’s Conanicut Island Light Keeper’s Journal

Conanicut Island Light Keeper’s Journal

JHS recently received Elmer V. Newton’s Conanicut Island Light Keeper’s Journal, 1921-1933. Lighthouse keepers were required to keep a journal mostly of day to day life, when inspections were made, and what supplies received.
Christine Jackson

Woman with link to local slave visits farm

Jackson, of Providence, aided by the Jamestown Historical Society, encountered the birth site of her ancestor, Bristol Underwood, for the first time.

2023 Fall Newsletter

Our Fall Newsletter is now available for download. This spring and summer were very busy as the JHS offered talks, outings, exhibits, events, and gatherings.