Jamestown Historical Society

Library Exhibit 2022: Signs and Plaques

This exhibit has passed. Click here for current exhibits.

The JHS library exhibit for February displays some of the smaller signs and plaques from the Jamestown Historical Society’s collection of signs.  Many of the larger ones are on permanent display in the town’s Recreation Center lobby and the back stairwell of Town Hall.

A shield shaped plaque from a stone wall identifies the wall as the work of the Work Projects Administration (WPA).  The WPA employed millions of jobseekers to carry out public works projects during the Great Depression.  In Jamestown, they built the seawall at East Ferry and the retaining wall along High Street near Walcott as well as other similar projects.

The Pusey & Jones Company of Wilmington, Delaware, put a brass builder’s plate on the ferryboat Beaver Tail when they built it in 1896 for the Jamestown & Newport Ferry Co.  The plaque was removed after the Beaver Tail was destroyed in the 1938 Hurricane.

Other signs on display include a P.O.W. sign and a building identification sign from World War II and farm and post office signs from the early and mid-20th century.
The signs will remain on display in the Jamestown Philomenian Library foyer until the beginning of March.

Visit the Town Hall to see the entire exhibit and please consider donating your Jamestown memorabilia to Jamestown Historical Society, contact info@jamestownhistoricalsociety.org.

Share this Page

Related Articles

Jamestown Historical Society Launches Dynamic New Website

The new improved JHS website jamestownhistoricalsociety.org was unveiled last week after months of work by several dedicated JHS volunteers.

George Whitley, Rhode Island Jonnycakes

George Whitley spoke about the history of this special corn and the milling of it, and he made jonnycakes with flint corn for all attendees to enjoy.

Ceramic Pot

This small ceramic pot with its lid is believed to have come across the bay in the house that became the Bay Voyage hotel.