Jamestown Historical Society

From the Collection – Horses to Cars: Harry E. Shatzer’s Business Legacy

This carriage vase belonged to Harry E. Shatzer, who after arriving in Jamestown in 1912, established a livery stable on Narragansett Avenue. Shatzer would attach the flower vase to his carriages for weddings and funerals.

Harry Shatzer was born in 1879 in Pennsylvania. He married Lulu Virginia Broll of Moorefield, West Virginia. Lulu was also born 1879. Their wedding invitation announced the marriage of Lulu Virginia to Harry Emerson Shatzer on Oct. 16, 1907, Emanuel Episcopal Church, Baltimore, Maryland and after Oct. 18 at home Chambersburg, Pennsylvania. Their son, Harry E. Shatzer Jr. was born in 1910 in Pennsylvania, the same year Shatzer had a wagon express business in New Rochelle, NY.

When the Shatzers’ came to Jamestown, they lived on Knowles Court according to Harry’s 1919 Rhode Island Operator’s License. Later they purchased the house on Narragansett Avenue which currently houses the Jamestown Animal Clinic. Harry died in 1922 and afterwards, Lulu opened at the Narragansett Avenue location Lulu’s Kitchen which served lunch and tea. In the 1930’s she was a nurse. She died in 1945.

Harry and Lulu with their son Harry Jr., November 1910.
Harry and Lulu with their son Harry Jr., November 1910.

Shatzer’s livery stable on Narragansett Avenue transitioned into Harry’s Garage and Livery Stable, Harry’s Livery and Express, and later, with the advent of cars, into Harry’s Garage. Harry’s Garage and Livery Stable letterhead advertised “Expressing and Teaming of Every Description; Automobile Supplies and Repairs; A Specialty Made of Storage, Packing.

The first letter (left)  is one of three pages that appears to be a listing of Shatzer’s customers, many in Jamestown, and others from Philadelphia, New York, and other cities.

The next letter is a letter Shatzer wrote on June 14, 1916 to Dr. John Marshall, 1718 Pine Street, Philadelphia explaining that the $13.50 charge was figured according to the contract.

Jamestown Garage
This is a photo of the Jamestown Garage with the sign for the office of Harry’s Livery & Express. Harry Shatzer is the second man from the left.
In 1920, Shatzer was named manager of the Jamestown and Newport Transfer Company and Lulu was issued 200 shares in the company Harry E. Shatzer adapted to the era’s transportation changes with a succession of businesses that reflect the decline of horsepower and the growth of the automobile.

For more items from our collection regarding the Shatzer family, click on this link.

Share this Page

Related Articles

Anderson's Dairy Truck

Conanicut Island Dairies

Alfred W. Bowser, a wounded Canadian World War I veteran, came to Jamestown in 1929 as the farm manager of Cajacet (also known as the Thomas Paine House). Bowser was in the dairy business seven years until 1944 when he sold the dairy to John M. Anderson, a former state trooper.

Jamestown’s History Can be Told Through the Quahog Shell

Indigenous people in Jamestown buried their loved ones with decorated quahog shells as long ago as 1400 BC, according to discoveries by archaeologist William Simmons.

2024 Spring Newsletter

Our Spring 2024 Newsletter is now available! Read now to stay up to date with the Jamestown Historical Society!