Jamestown Historical Society

Tag: From the Collection

feature-image
Article

From the Collection – Conanicut Battery

In May of 1776, the Americans hastily built an earthwork battery in a large field on the west side of the Beavertail peninsula on Conanicut Island. British diarist Frederick Mackenzie later described the fortification as a “Battery or Redoubt with 4 embrasures” facing the West Passage of Narragansett Bay.

Read More
Lt-Greble
Article

From the Collection – Fort Greble – Dutch Island

Named for John T. Greble, the first U.S. Military Academy graduate to die in the Civil War, Fort Greble was established as an Endicott fortification in 1897 and was part of the RI Coastal Defense on Dutch Island which is part of the town of Jamestown, Rhode Island.

Read More
medallion
Article

From the Collection – Slavery in Jamestown

From the early eighteenth century until the American Revolution, approximately one-third of the people living and working in Jamestown were recently captured Africans, second-generation African Americans, or indigenous people, mostly Narragansett.

Read More