Jamestown Historical Society

Jamestown Signs

Click on the images below to see them in our online catalog.

Hanging on a side wall of the JHS Vault is a collection of Jamestown signs from island merchants that have closed in years past.

The Lyons Market was a grocery store located first at 17 Narragansett Avenue and then at 23 Narragansett. According to its advertising, it sold “MEATS-GROCERIES-FRUITS-VEGETABLES-WINES-LIQUORS“. The home decorating store TWC Home is now at the first location. Angels Kitchen and Milo’s Nails & Spa are located in 23 Narragansett.

Godena’s Garage was located in 1952, at what was at that time, 27 North Road. It was operated by John Godena until 1972. In the mid-1980s, the number was changed to 41 North Road and it is now the location of Cumberland Farms.

The Islander Restaurant was located at 40 Narragansett Avenue. Leopold Allaire and his wife, Mona, bought the building at 40 Narragansett and established The Islander Restaurant in 1947. A description of the building can be found in an article in the Jamestown Press. In 1996, the restaurant was rebuilt by Chuck and Tricia Masso and Chopmist Charlie’s was opened. The Massos turned over the carved, gold-leaf sign and painted “Chopmist Charlie’s” in bright red on the other side. Chopmist Charlie’s was closed during the Covid pandemic and is now for sale.

Related Articles

Jamestown Historical Society Launches Dynamic New Website

The new improved JHS website jamestownhistoricalsociety.org was unveiled last week after months of work by several dedicated JHS volunteers.
George-Whitely

George Whitley, Rhode Island Jonnycakes

George Whitley spoke about the history of this special corn and the milling of it, and he made jonnycakes with flint corn for all attendees to enjoy.
crock

Ceramic Pot

This small ceramic pot with its lid is believed to have come across the bay in the house that became the Bay Voyage hotel.