Jamestown Historical Society

Tag: From the Collection

Anderson's Dairy Truck
Article

Conanicut Island Dairies

Alfred W. Bowser, a wounded Canadian World War I veteran, came to Jamestown in 1929 as the farm manager of Cajacet (also known as the Thomas Paine House). Bowser was in the dairy business seven years until 1944 when he sold the dairy to John M. Anderson, a former state trooper.

Read More
crock
Article

Ceramic Pot

This small ceramic pot with its lid is believed to have come across the bay in the house that became the Bay Voyage hotel.

Read More
Connie Armbrust
Article

Connie Armbrust

Jamestown is a haven for writers and artists, and one of our treasures was Constance Armbrust, known to everyone as “Connie.”

Read More
harbor-view
Article

Harbor View

In 1887, Captain Abbott Chandler, who ran a small boat business, renting rowboats and sailboats from his floating pier south of the East Ferry wharf, hired Charles Bevins to build a boardinghouse for seamen on Conanicus, then called Shore, Avenue.

Read More
Tiny Photos Attached to Larger Documents 1
Article

Tiny Photos Attached to Larger Documents

The Jamestown Historical Society has more than 11,000 photographs in its collection. Six of these are unique because they are tiny visuals that are attached to larger documents: two postcards, two envelopes, a Christmas card, and a card about a movie theater.

Read More
Elmer V. Newton’s Conanicut Island Light Keeper’s Journal
Article

Conanicut Island Light Keeper’s Journal

JHS recently received Elmer V. Newton’s Conanicut Island Light Keeper’s Journal, 1921-1933. Lighthouse keepers were required to keep a journal mostly of day to day life, when inspections were made, and what supplies received.

Read More
JHS Vault Signs
Article

Jamestown Signs

Hanging on a side wall of the JHS Vault is a collection of Jamestown signs from island merchants that have closed in years past.

Read More
Jamestown Harbor at Sunset, 1895
Article

Edward Mitchell Bannister 1828 – 1901

The Providence Art Club recently mounted a tribute to commemorate the life and work of one of their original founders, the Black artist Edward Mitchell Bannister. Bannister, born in New Brunswick, immigrated to Boston in about 1848.

Read More