Jamestown Historical Society

Tag: From the Collection

Manuel Nerona’s Ferry Mailbox
Article

Ferry Mailbox

Manuel Neronha Sr. was born in 1907 and came to Jamestown as a child. As soon as he was old enough, he went to work for the Jamestown & Newport Ferry Company.

Read More
Jeanne Bunkley Self Portrait
Article

Jeanne Bunkley

Jamestown artist Jeanne Bunkley (1918-2012), shown here in a self-portrait, captured the character of Jamestown in her two series of charcoal sketches that she called “Men of Jamestown.”

Read More
Mackerel Cove Beach Pavilion
Article

Mackerel Cove Beach Pavilion

In 1927, construction of a beach pavilion, a town facility, began. The pavilion was designed by Ralph G. P. Hull (1885-1941), a local Jamestown building contractor. The 272-foot-long pavilion opened in July 1928.

Read More
A view looking south
Article

Thorndike Hotel

In the halcyon days when Jamestown was a summer resort, visitors stayed in hotels and cottages for weeks at a time. One of the premier hotels was the Thorndike (sometimes spelled Thorndyke). It was located where BankNewport is now.

Read More
Dumpling Fort
Article

The Art of Old Fort Dumpling

For over 100 years Fort Dumpling stood at the southeast tip of the main part of Conanicut Island looming over 85’ granite outcroppings that dropped to the sea.

Read More
Carr School
Article

Carr School

The Carr School was built in 1889 on the site now anchored by McQuade’s Market. It was a large two-story building serving grades K-4 and was in use until 1955 when the Lawn Avenue School was built.

Read More
Fan
Article

Fans

This fan has been dated to the 18th century by the Textiles Department at URI. The donor was Mary Howland (Gardner) Clarke, the daughter of John Howland Gardner.

Read More
Clara Lewis, Teacher at Clarke School
Article

Clara Lewis, Teacher at Clarke School

Clara was the daughter of Clara Silvia Furtado and Manual Dutra Lewis who immigrated from Fayal Island Azores and were married January 14, 1906 in the Parish of St. Mary, Our Lady of the Isle in Newport.

Read More
Windmist Farm
Article

Jamestown’s Working Farms

From Jamestown’s very beginning to the present day, working farms make up a considerable portion of the acres on our island. According to a map produced in 1933 to show all the farms of Jamestown at the turn of the twentieth century, at that time most of the land was farmed.

Read More