Click on the images below to see them in our online catalog.

Camp Seaside was established by the Young Women’s Christian Association (YWCA) of Providence as a place of respite for the young women who came to Providence to earn a living. In 1877, Mrs. John Kendrik, a member of the board of YWCA, offered free use of her property called Seaside Cottage at Conanicut Park to ten young women who needed healthful recuperative time away from work. This cottage was purchased by YWCA in 1881 with more cottages purchased in later years. By 1890, there were 342 children and adults listed. Women with small children, teachers, office workers, girls from jewelry factories, cotton mills and stores, seamstresses and housekeepers received the benefits of a week or two-week vacation at Seaside. By 1939, six buildings served the campers: Seaside, Andrews, Nunksqua, House by the Road, Fisher Cottage and Fo’castle. 

As years passed, the age of the campers changed from poor city dwellers to youngsters from 4-H groups and Campfire girls. The last camping season was probably held in 1968. The YWCA sold the property in 1970.

The Jamestown Historical Society’s collection has photos of Camp Seaside, postcards depicting the camp, letters of campers and various newspaper articles recounting the history of Seaside. Here is a representative sample of the collection.

Click here for more on CAMP SEASIDE.

Share this Page

Related Articles