Jamestown Historical Society

Tag: From the Collection

From the Collection - Car
Article

From the Collection – Ferry Landing to Ferry Landing

In 1873, the town of Jamestown initiated the first steam ferry service between Jamestown East Ferry and Newport. Fifteen years later, in 1888, steam ferry service between West Ferry and Saunderstown on the mainland began. Just how did passengers and their belongings travel the one-mile between ferries?

Read More
From the Collection – The 1938 Hurricane
Article

From the Collection – The 1938 Hurricane

Although we have featured the 38 Hurricane in an earlier “From the Collection”, we would like to feature one of our films this month. Many Jamestown residents have never experienced a strong hurricane or seen the extent of the damage caused by one.

Read More
Judy Garlick, far left, and friends on the Ferry
Article

From the Collection – Judy Garlick

On September 19, 2021, Judith E. Garlick, passed away leaving the Jamestown Historical Society an extensive collection of albums containing pictures of students who graduated from the Carr and Clarke Schools.

Read More
Jamestown Golf 3
Article

From the Collection – Golf in Jamestown

Just as golf was becoming popular in the U.S. in the late nineteenth century, Jamestown’s first golf course, a 9-hole Conanicut Golf Club was officially formed in 1895. Six holes were located south of Hamilton Avenue, mostly on the pastures of the Cottrell Farm north of Blueberry Lane and west of Walcott Avenue.

Read More
flower-show-logo
Article

From the Collection – Flower Shows

In 1827 the Philadelphia Horticultural Society hosted the first American flower show with the aim “to inspire taste for one of the most rational and pleasing amusements of man”. Flower shows have played important roles for most gardeners and Jamestown proved no different.

Read More
Plum Beach Lighthouse Original
Article

From the Collection – Plum Beach Lighthouse

This lighthouse is located in the West Passage just north of the Jamestown Bridge. It was completed in 1899 and served to warn vessels away from the Plum Beach shoal which extended east from the Narragansett shore toward Conanicut Island.

Read More
Article

From the Collection – Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge

The initial contract for building the Jamestown-Verrazzano bridge was awarded in December 1984 to Clarke-Fitzpatrick Inc., the lowest of six bidders at $63.9 million. Ground was broken September 26. 1985, and construction began. Estimated time to complete – three years.

Read More