Click on the images below to see them in our online catalog.

John C. Rembijas was born in Woonsocket, Rhode Island in 1916, his parents having immigrated from Poland. He served Rhode Island and the town of Jamestown for many years. Following a military career he became a dedicated politician, town official and a successful builder in Jamestown.

 

Rembijas’s military career began in 1940, initially as a Unit Commander in the Rhode Island National Guard. Subsequently he became second in command to Col. Frances Spry, and their responsibility was maintaining Rhode Island’s coastal artillery, based in Jamestown. In 1947 he left active duty and joined the U.S. Army Coast Artillery Corps reserves, or CAC, which was responsible for coastal and ant-aircraft artillery defense.

Rembijas’s long career as politician and town official exemplifies an active, strong dedication to Jamestown. He served for many years, and, as quoted from his obituary, was described as being “without an enemy.” He served on the Town Council for many years, was Town Moderator for 17 years, and Chairman of the Jamestown Democratic Committee for 12 years. In addition, he served as Building Inspector for many years and was a member of the RI Bridge and Turnpike Authority.

In 1978, Rembijas lead an effort to create a public meeting space for families and groups to gather. Unfortunately, he died suddenly and unexpectedly in 1980, and never saw his idea brought to fruition. But in 1980, the Col. Rembijas Memorial Pavilion was dedicated, at Jamestown’s Fort Getty Park. A beautiful, spacious, open air pavilion, with sweeping views of the bay, and a fitting memorial to a devoted town leader.

For more on the John C. Rembijas and the Pavilion, click here.

Share this Page

Related Articles