The Bay Voyage Hotel was originally a residence called “Rhoda-Ridge on Brown’s Lane in Middletown RI owned by James A. Brown.
The original house was built in 1860 In 1890 for some reason James Brown decided that he would be happier in Jamestown across the Bay, so he had his house divided into 2 parts and transported over fields, stone walls, a marsh and a railroad bed to the water’s edge where the largest part was loaded onto a barge.
The weather caused a one day delay, but the house was successfully transported to Jamestown where it was later joined by the smaller section at the present location. The resulting building was renamed the Bay Voyage and eventually enlarged to become
Sign up if you do not want to become a member at this time, but would like to receive the JHS public announcements, articles, and news updates. Members do not need to sign up here as they will automatically receive all this and invitations to members-only events as well when they join. The JHS will never share the email addresses in our database.
The Jamestown
Historical Society
PO Box 156
Jamestown, RI
02835