This lighthouse is located in the West Passage just north of the Jamestown Bridge. It was completed in 1899 and served to warn vessels away from the Plum Beach shoal which extended east from the Narragansett shore toward Conanicut Island. In 1918 granite riprap was added to the base to protect it, changing the appearance to look like it is on a small island.
It has endured several hurricanes, including the famous 1938 hurricane which devastated Jamestown. It was extensively renovated in 2003 and is now owned and maintained by the Plum Beach Lighthouse Association. There are numerous pictures,drawings and archives in the JHS collection: Click here to see some of them.
Sign up if you do not want to become a member at this time, but would like to receive the JHS public announcements, articles, and news updates. Members do not need to sign up here as they will automatically receive all this and invitations to members-only events as well when they join. The JHS will never share the email addresses in our database.
The Jamestown
Historical Society
PO Box 156
Jamestown, RI
02835