Click on the images below to see them in our online catalog.
From a Newport newspaper in July 1891 …
Jamestown
“Much was said and written of the beautiful scenery in and about Jamestown, but no one perhaps has a finer collection of photographs of many of the beautiful scenes, both on land and water, taken at various points on the island than Dr. Lawrence Turnbull of Philadelphia, who has a cottage on Union Street. His collection consists of some forty views taken by his friend, Mr. W. H. Gilder of Baltimore. The first picture in his album is of West Narragansett Avenue, taken from a position just east of the cross roads and looking west.”
“This view is prettier than one would imagine who has not had the pleasure of noticing it from the point selected by the artist. The cross roads are plainly visible, with the trees at the corner and the Watson house in the distance, a little cloud of dust raised by a passing dog cart, with the figures of occupants of the cart so plainly given as to be almost recognizable, while the road in the distance nearly a half mile beyond is plainly visible, making one of the finest views of the collection.”
“Another is of the steamboat landing, showing steamers Conanicut and Dumpling lying in their berths, while the wharf is crowded with passengers and cargos, waiting to take the ferry to Newport.”
“A view of old Fort Brown at the Dumplings, taken at night, is certainly one of the finest pictures of this old sentinel on the rocks ever taken.”
The Enterprise Transportation Company ran in competition with the Fall River Line, which had provided transport between New York, Newport, and Fall River since 1847. For Jamestowners, the Fall River steamer was very inconvenient. The steamers arrived in Newport about 3am, long after the Jamestown Ferry had ceased operation for the night. The next ferry was the 6:30am and travelers traditionally went on to Fall River, took a train back to Newport, and caught a morning ferry to Jamestown.
With the new service, passengers came from Newport to board the Enterprise steamships at Jamestown. There could be too many passengers. William Young of Fall River sued the Enterprise company for $500 for breach of contract. He had a ticket to go from Fall River to Jamestown but the crowd boarding in Jamestown prevented him from getting off so he had to go to New York and back!
Unfortunately, service ended after only 18 months in November 1907. The Fall River line lasted for 90 years, until 1937.
Click here for more on Album Conanicut