The Conanicut Park development was conceived in the 1870s, inspired by the Methodist camp meeting in Oak Bluffs on Martha’s Vineyard. The plans called for twelve miles of roads, ornamental plantings, a hotel, a commercial area near a wharf, and 2,098 small lots to be sold for $150 each so that it was “accessible to people who do not keep footmen or carriages, or give champagne breakfasts.”* This year’s tour includes three of the original cottages built in 1874 at 883, 887, and 900 East Shore Road. Join the tour to find out what happened to the plans to build this large development.
Parking: Please drive slowly and watch for pedestrians. Consider carpooling. There is
no parking on East Shore Road. Park on only one side of the nearby roads (Court St,
Orient Ave, Clinton St.) and make sure not to block driveways. Leave space for cars
and emergency vehicles to get by. There are no public restrooms available.”
*Drake, Samuel, 1875, Nooks and Corners of the New England Coast.