Tag: Sue Maden

Shared Article

Chamber predecessor targeted tourism to ease downturn

In May 1929, 21 Jamestowners met at Town Hall to form an organization to “promote the economic, civic, and social welfare of the people of Jamestown and vicinity.” The founding members were all Jamestown businessmen, most from East Ferry and Narragansett Avenue.

Read More
Mary Tapper Tollefson, a member and secretary of the Forum, continued to monitor Jamestown government after the demise of the organization.
Shared Article

The Jamestown Forum

Non-governmental organizations were also formed to address the problems ahead, among them the Jamestown Forum, which first entered the public eye in 1947.

Read More
Shared Article

Women in Our Post Office

The first post office in Jamestown was established in 1847. At the time, women were less than 1 percent of federal Postmasters, and the Postmaster’s salary was a percentage of the stamps sold. Mail was not delivered door-to-door; it was held by the Postmaster for pick up.

Read More
Camp Mead – Approximate – Map of Conanicut Island-Watson-1875.jpg Approximate location of Camp Meade shown against the 1875 map of Conanicut Island compiled by William Dame of Newport and published by Daniel Watson, a Jamestown and Newport realtor. (Detail of copy in New York Public Library)
Shared Article

Camp Meade

Camp Meade (sometimes spelled Mead) was the training camp for the Third Rhode Island Cavalry. It was established between June 26 and August 18, 1863, and probably named for General George Gordon Meade who had just taken command of the Army of the Potomac.

Read More
The yule log fireplace built at East Ferry in 1950.
Shared Article

The Jamestown Holiday Season over the Years

During the holiday season in the 21st century Christians of many faiths celebrate the birthday of Jesus with Christmas parties and presents. Jews gather for Hanukkah, the festival of lights. Americans of African heritage express their unity at Kwanzaa.

Read More
Conanicut Golf Club golfers in 1896. Elsie Bleecker, the woman on the far right, is listed as a member of the Conanicut Golf Club in 1896. The others in the photographs are unidentified.
Shared Article

The Conanicut Golf Club

Golf became popular in the United States in the late 1880s and Jamestown’s summer residents were among the earliest enthusiasts.

Read More
Shared Article

Ellen Tucker Cottrell

Ellen Tucker, the eldest child of Pardon and Sarah Waite Tucker, was born three days after Christmas in 1847 at the Hutchinson farm on North Road.

Read More
feature-image-1
Shared Article

Collecting and Sharing Jamestown History

In the summer of 1912, Elizabeth Carr Locke, a California-based descendant of Caleb Carr who was in Jamestown for the summer, had 200 posters printed and distributed around the island asking anybody interested in forming a historical society to meet at Town Hall on August 19.

Read More