
Library Exhibit, October 2021 Jamestown Golf Courses
Over the years, Jamestown has had three golf courses: the Conanicut Golf Club (1895-1904), Jamestown Golf and Country Club (1902-present), and the Beaver Tail Country Club (1926-1944).

Over the years, Jamestown has had three golf courses: the Conanicut Golf Club (1895-1904), Jamestown Golf and Country Club (1902-present), and the Beaver Tail Country Club (1926-1944).

The September exhibit in the JHS library display case features Jamestown’s many resort hotels and the room keys they used. The earliest full-service hotel was the Bay View, opened by William Knowles, one of the last sail ferry captains, in 1882.

The August exhibit in the JHS library display case features early gifts to the Jamestown Historical Society’s collection and the people who gave them.

The July exhibit in the JHS library display case features commemorative plates from the society’s collection.

Many organizations – governmental, fraternal, and commercial – use patches sewn to uniforms, shirts, or hats to identify their membership.

April is the month when, under Rhode Island state law, all dogs over three months of age must be registered. This April the JHS mounted two exhibits about Jamestown dogs and their registration.

The Jamestown Historical Society monitors eBay and other auction websites for objects pertaining to Jamestown. Over the last six years, we have purchased several archives and objects to add to the JHS collection.

The new exhibit in the JHS display case in the Jamestown Philomenian Library tells the stories of some of Africans and African Americans who have lived on the island over the passed 350 years.

The new exhibit in the JHS display case in the Jamestown Philomenian Library celebrates the different ways the people in Jamestown supported its military forces fighting in Europe and the Far East from 1941 to 1945.

From colonial days till the present, aids to navigation – lighthouse, foghorns, buoys, lightships – have warned mariners of the risks ahead as they entered Narragansett Bay. Jamestown itself was home to four lighthouses, two on Conanicut Island, one on Gould Island in the East Passage, and one on Dutch Island in the West Passage.
Sign up if you do not want to become a member at this time, but would like to receive the JHS public announcements, articles, and news updates. Members do not need to sign up here as they will automatically receive all this and invitations to members-only events as well when they join. The JHS will never share the email addresses in our database.
The Jamestown
Historical Society
PO Box 156
Jamestown, RI
02835