The Jamestown Bridge, 1940-2007: Concept to Demolition
By Sue Maden
A bridge between Jamestown and Saunderstown, long a dream of some Jamestown residents, was built in 1940. The Jamestown Bridge Commission, elected by the voters of Jamestown, controlled the bridge until the state assumed responsibility when the Newport Bridge opened in 1969. The new Jamestown-Verrazzano Bridge replaced the 1940s bridge in 1992, and the old bridge was finally demolished 15 years later.
The Jamestown Press, 2007