Jamestown Historical Society

Library Exhibit, October 2021 Jamestown Golf Courses

Over the years, Jamestown has had three golf courses: the Conanicut Golf Club (1895-1904), Jamestown Golf and Country Club (1902-present), and the Beaver Tail Country Club (1926-1944).

The October exhibit in the JHS library display case shows the layout of the two defunct courses and features a pewter cup awarded at the Jamestown Golf and Country Club in 1913. Score cards from the courses show the par for each of the holes.

One hundred and seventy-four years later, the second liquor license to be issued in Jamestown after the repeal of Prohibition similarly allowed J. H. Bowen, who owned the Harbor View Inn and the White Nook restaurant on Conanicus Avenue, to serve alcohol. Also on display are a variety of other licenses for various activities on the island.

Visit the library to see the entire exhibit and please consider donating your Jamestown memorabilia to Jamestown Historical Society, contact info@jamestownhistoricalsociety.org.

Share this Page

Related Articles

Jamestown Historical Society Launches Dynamic New Website

The new improved JHS website jamestownhistoricalsociety.org was unveiled last week after months of work by several dedicated JHS volunteers.
George-Whitely

George Whitley, Rhode Island Jonnycakes

George Whitley spoke about the history of this special corn and the milling of it, and he made jonnycakes with flint corn for all attendees to enjoy.
crock

Ceramic Pot

This small ceramic pot with its lid is believed to have come across the bay in the house that became the Bay Voyage hotel.