Jamestown Historical Society

Library Exhibit: Jamestown’s North Farm- Feb 2017

The North Farm included 360 acres “bounded on the west, north and east by seas or salt water and the south by highway.” It encompassed all the land north of a line across the island from approximately the current Broad Street on the east to Wickford Avenue on the west.  The 18th century manuscript featured in the exhibit documents the solution to a question about the ownership of the farm in 1783.  Also in the exhibit is a list of taxable property from 1784 of Job Watson.  In 1792 he bought North Farm.  In the late 19th century, North Farm became part of the Conanicut Park development.  The exhibit also includes a photo of an etching by J. A. S. Monks “Sheep in the Orchard on Conanicut”.  There is a photo of Horace Arnold, pictured with his granddaughters, who was appointed keeper at the Conanicut Light at the North End in 1886.  Come see these and other pictures and artifacts associated with the North End.

Related Articles

Jamestown Historical Society Launches Dynamic New Website

The new improved JHS website jamestownhistoricalsociety.org was unveiled last week after months of work by several dedicated JHS volunteers.
George-Whitely

George Whitley, Rhode Island Jonnycakes

George Whitley spoke about the history of this special corn and the milling of it, and he made jonnycakes with flint corn for all attendees to enjoy.
crock

Ceramic Pot

This small ceramic pot with its lid is believed to have come across the bay in the house that became the Bay Voyage hotel.