Schoolhouse to Library to Museum
The Jamestown Historical Society’s museum building was originally built in 1885 as a one-room primary school. From 1898 to 1971, the building was the town’s library. In 1971 when the current library was built, the Jamestown Historical Society leased the old library for use as a museum.
In 2008 the interior of the building was refurbished, elements of the original schoolhouse were restored, and insulation, heating, and air conditioning were installed. A new entry, handicapped access, and new landscaping were completed.
Each year a new exhibit is created and displayed in the Jamestown Museum.
The Summer 2020 exhibit in the Jamestown Historical Society museum at 92 Narragansett Avenue is Art & Artists of Jamestown. This exhibit will open Saturday, June 20, 2020. It will display original artwork from our collection. It is curated by Jamestowner, Peter Marcus. Visit this page often for more previews of the exhibit.
The museum is open every Wednesday through Sunday from 1 pm to 4 pm from mid-June through Labor Day. From Labor Day to Columbus Day, the museum is open on weekends from 1 pm to 4 pm. The museum is always open by appointment. The society welcomes anyone interested in being a docent at the museum and greeting our summer visitors.
Browse through time
A new schoolhouse for the lower grades opens on the west side of Southwest Avenue, not far from the Four Corners. The schoolhouse stands 50 feet back from the road on a half-acre lot. A fence encloses the rear yard. The boys and girls have separate entry doors and separate playgrounds.
The primary school building is moved to the Artillery Lot. The Jamestown Philomenian Library Association moves the library books, formerly kept in various places around town, into the building.
The new library on North Road opens. The Jamestown Historical Society leases the old library to use as a museum. The museum opens the following year with an exhibit of memorabilia from the ferryboat era.