Places to Visit

Jamestown RI 02835

Jamestown Windmill

Conanicut Battery

Jamestown Library

Jamestown Museum

Meetinghouse

Town Hall

Windmill


North Road near Weeden Lane

Conanicut Battery


Battery Lane

Jamestown Museum


92 Narragansett Avenue

Meetinghouse


Weeden Lane at North Road

Jamestown Philomenian Library


26 North Road

Town Hall


93 Narragansett Avenue

JHS Vault


Lower Level | 93 Narragansett Avenue

Browse through time

1657

Prepurchase Agreement Signed
106 men – most of them freemen of Newport – prepare a prepurchase agreement that directs seven members of the group to negotiate with the Narragansett for the purchase of Conanicut and Dutch islands. The document is now on display in the Jamestown Town Hall.

1776

Conanicut Battery Built
The Conanicut Battery is built on Beavertail by order of the Rhode Island General Assembly.

1787

Windmill and Meetinghouse Built
The American Revolution is over. The windmill and the Conanicut Friends Meetinghouse are built on Windmill Hill.

1884

Jamestown’s First Town Hall Built
A Town Hall is built on Narragansett Avenue. The original building is completely renovated to become the Council Chambers and an adjacent Town Hall is built in 2007.

1972

Jamestown Museum Established
The Jamestown Historical Society opens a museum devoted to island history in the former library across from the Town Hall.

2007

JHS Vault Opens
The JHS opens a climate-controlled vault on the lower level of the new Town Hall. Archival material, textiles, photographs, and fragile objects are moved to the new location.