Governor Carr Ferry

Governor Carr Ferry

Governor Carr pennant from the maiden voyage, February 1927 Above the Ferry Room door in the Jamestown Museum is the pennant flown on the Governor Carr on the ferryboat’s maiden voyage in February 1927. The Governor Carr carried passengers and vehicles across the East...
Ferry Mailbox

Ferry Mailbox

Manuel Nerona’s Ferry Mailbox Newport II Manuel Neronha Sr. was born in 1907 and came to Jamestown as a child. As soon as he was old enough, he went to work for the Jamestown & Newport Ferry Company. Except for a few years in the 1940s, he worked on the...
Jeanne Bunkley

Jeanne Bunkley

Jamestown artist Jeanne Bunkley (1918-2012), shown here in a self-portrait, captured the character of Jamestown in her two series of charcoal sketches that she called “Men of Jamestown.” “Men don’t like to sit. They yawn and fidget,” she said in an 2007 interview. She...
Mackerel Cove Beach Pavilion

Mackerel Cove Beach Pavilion

In 1927, construction of a beach pavilion, a town facility, began. The pavilion was designed by Ralph G. P. Hull (1885-1941), a local Jamestown building contractor. The 272-foot-long pavilion opened in July 1928. It was originally situated on the Sheffield Cove or...
Thorndike Hotel

Thorndike Hotel

A view looking south In the halcyon days when Jamestown was a summer resort, visitors stayed in hotels and cottages for weeks at a time. One of the premier hotels was the Thorndike (sometimes spelled Thorndyke). It was located where BankNewport is now. In 1879, Mrs....
The Art of Old Fort Dumpling

The Art of Old Fort Dumpling

For over 100 years Fort Dumpling stood at the southeast tip of the main part of Conanicut Island looming over 85’ granite outcroppings that dropped to the sea. Erected in 1798, Fort Dumpling was a massive elliptical stone tower measuring 180’ by 81’ and was built on a...