Category: Article

Mackerel Cove Beach Pavilion
Article

Mackerel Cove Beach Pavilion

In 1927, construction of a beach pavilion, a town facility, began. The pavilion was designed by Ralph G. P. Hull (1885-1941), a local Jamestown building contractor. The 272-foot-long pavilion opened in July 1928.

Read More
A view looking south
Article

Thorndike Hotel

In the halcyon days when Jamestown was a summer resort, visitors stayed in hotels and cottages for weeks at a time. One of the premier hotels was the Thorndike (sometimes spelled Thorndyke). It was located where BankNewport is now.

Read More
Article

Town Hall: License Exhibit

The new exhibit mounted by the Jamestown Historical Society in the mini-exhibit case in the foyer of Town Hall features licenses and license applications from the JHS collection.

Read More
Dumpling Fort
Article

The Art of Old Fort Dumpling

For over 100 years Fort Dumpling stood at the southeast tip of the main part of Conanicut Island looming over 85’ granite outcroppings that dropped to the sea.

Read More
White porcelain perfume bottle from the colonial era
Article

Mini-exhibit: Bottles

The new exhibit mounted by the Jamestown Historical Society in the mini–exhibit case in the foyer of Town Hall features bottles of all kinds from the JHS collection. The oldest bottle shown is a white porcelain perfume bottle from the colonial era.

Read More
Carr School
Article

Carr School

The Carr School was built in 1889 on the site now anchored by McQuade’s Market. It was a large two-story building serving grades K-4 and was in use until 1955 when the Lawn Avenue School was built.

Read More
Fan
Article

Fans

This fan has been dated to the 18th century by the Textiles Department at URI. The donor was Mary Howland (Gardner) Clarke, the daughter of John Howland Gardner.

Read More
Clara Lewis, Teacher at Clarke School
Article

Clara Lewis, Teacher at Clarke School

Clara was the daughter of Clara Silvia Furtado and Manual Dutra Lewis who immigrated from Fayal Island Azores and were married January 14, 1906 in the Parish of St. Mary, Our Lady of the Isle in Newport.

Read More
JHS Fall 2022 News Letter
Article

2022 Fall Newsletter

Our Fall 2022 Newsletter is now available for download. The JHS adopted a new Diversity Policy this year, which is reproduced in the report.

Read More
Windmist Farm
Article

Jamestown’s Working Farms

From Jamestown’s very beginning to the present day, working farms make up a considerable portion of the acres on our island. According to a map produced in 1933 to show all the farms of Jamestown at the turn of the twentieth century, at that time most of the land was farmed.

Read More