
From the Collection – Pill Box From Hunt’s Drug Store
Hunt’s Drug Store stood at the corner of Conanicus and Narragansett avenues where the East Ferry Deli is now.

Hunt’s Drug Store stood at the corner of Conanicus and Narragansett avenues where the East Ferry Deli is now.

Members of the Jamestown Historical Society toured the Blue Garden in Newport on Thursday, July 8. The garden was created in 1913 by Mr. and Mrs. Arthur Curtiss James using the Olmsted Brothers firm. The garden gradually deteriorated to ruin, its restoration begun in 2012 by Mrs. Dorrance Hamilton.

Speech Delivered at the Dedication of the Slave History Medallion at
East Ferry, Jamestown, RI, May 22, 2021

Sheep played a large part in the early days of the island of Conanicut. As early as 1637, when the Narragansett granted the right to the grasses of the island to the Newport settlers, sheep were grazed on the island.

Our Spring 2021 Newsletter is now available for download. Don’t miss the committee reports of all the things that we’ve been working on while at home.

Many organizations – governmental, fraternal, and commercial – use patches sewn to uniforms, shirts, or hats to identify their membership.

Named for John T. Greble, the first U.S. Military Academy graduate to die in the Civil War, Fort Greble was established as an Endicott fortification in 1897 and was part of the RI Coastal Defense on Dutch Island which is part of the town of Jamestown, Rhode Island.

April is the month when, under Rhode Island state law, all dogs over three months of age must be registered. This April the JHS mounted two exhibits about Jamestown dogs and their registration.

The Jamestown Historical Society monitors eBay and other auction websites for objects pertaining to Jamestown. Over the last six years, we have purchased several archives and objects to add to the JHS collection.

Francis X. West was an artist and painting contractor who worked from his Red Elephant Studio on Cole Street. In the JHS Collection is his artist’s palette with images of clouds, gulls, and sailboats. At the bottom of the palette is his autograph, “Frank West RES.”
Sign up if you do not want to become a member at this time, but would like to receive the JHS public announcements, articles, and news updates. Members do not need to sign up here as they will automatically receive all this and invitations to members-only events as well when they join. The JHS will never share the email addresses in our database.
The Jamestown
Historical Society
PO Box 156
Jamestown, RI
02835