In 1927, construction of a beach pavilion, a town facility, began. The pavilion was designed by Ralph G. P. Hull (1885-1941), a local Jamestown building contractor. The 272-foot-long pavilion opened in July 1928. It was originally situated on the Sheffield Cove or north side of the road. By the following December, it was moved to the south side of the road due to sewage problems.
The pavilion was destroyed during the Hurricane of 1938, with only the cement steps remaining. After the hurricane, the roof of the pavilion was found in the field of John Jay Watson’s farm. The pavilion was in use for only eleven years.