The Jamestown Garden Club created around 1904 was a loosely organized group of members who enjoyed visiting other member gardens followed by a tea and socializing. In September 1918, Anna W. Morris records in her diary that she hosted a club meeting on her yacht Ariel which was anchored and visitors were brought over to the yacht on her launch. She recounts “Mrs. Wharton poured tea, from our plated silver pots marked Ariel, steward made sandwiches of chicken and marmalade. There were 18 in the dining cabin at one time and it looked too cute for anything”. It wasn’t until 1923 that she herself was made a member of the club, presumably war years intervened.