Sheep played a large part in the early days of the island of Conanicut. As early as 1637, when the Narragansett granted the right to the grasses of the island to the Newport settlers, sheep were grazed on the island. Sheep and wool remained important island products through the 19th century. The painting by John Austin Sands Monks, shown above, shows sheep crossing Great Creek with the Windmill in the background. Click on this link to see it in our collection.
News sheet of the Rhode Island Historical Society dated July – October 1915 showing the seal of the town of Jamestown RI, incorporated 1678. The Jamestown Historical Society instituted a search and discovered a seal from the 18th Century or earlier. The design is armorial, being a shield bearing as its charge a sheep appropriately symbolic of the early industry of the island.
Jamestown’s flag and our coat of arms reflect the importance of sheep to the town Town of Jamestown. Our flag with a sheep on the shield.
The current Jamestown Police patch.