Dog tax #1 was first issued to Dr. John Marshall, Dean of the University of Pennsylvania Medical School, who summered in Jamestown.

 

According to his great grandson, Dr. Marshall, because of his position, was one of the first in Jamestown to request a telephone and was given telephone number one. At that time, Jamestown dog tax licenses were issued with the same number as the owners’ telephone number. Dog tax license number one was passed down through the family to Marshall’s granddaughter. In 1974 she and her husband had a tag in the shape of a dog house made for their dachshund, the tag that is in the JHS collection today.

 

In 1916 Mary Wormley and John Marshall built a house at 196 Highland Drive that they named “Cedar Point.”