This fort was erected in 1798-1800 to protect Newport harbor in response to French and British hostilities that culminated in the war of 1812 although it was never used. It was designed and constructed by French-born Louis de Tousard who built Fort Adams on the opposing shore.

By 1898 it had fallen into ruin, so it was destroyed to make way for Fort Wetherill. When Fort Wetherill was built, a command post protected by earthwork was erected on the site. During World War II, it became an observation post overlooking the anti-submarine nets across the bay.


It is now in the National Register of Historic Places. Our collection has many artistic views as well as a few photographs.