Schoolhouse to Library to Museum
The Jamestown Historical Society's museum building was originally built in 1885 as a one-room primary school. From 1898 to 1971, the building was the town's library. In 1971 when the current library was built, the Jamestown Historical Society leased the old library for use as a museum.
In 2008 the interior of the building was refurbished, elements of the original schoolhouse were restored, and insulation, heating, and air conditioning were installed. A new entry, handicapped access, and new landscaping were completed.
Each year a new exhibit is created and displayed in the Jamestown Museum.
The Summer 2017 exhibit in the Jamestown Historical Society museum at 92 Narragansett Avenue is Jamestown: Lost & Found. This exhibit will open Memorial Day, 2017. It will display old postcards and photographs next to current photographs of the same view to show the changing face of Jamestown.
Visit this page often for more previews of the exhibit.