USO 75TH ANNIVERSARY
In World War II, there were three forts on Conanicut Island: Fort Wetherill, Fort Getty, and Fort Burnside, which included all of what is now Beavertail State Park. Over 1,000 men and women were stationed at the forts. With so many service personnel on the island, Jamestown needed more recreational facilities. The United Service Organizations, Inc., (U.S.O.) built what is now the Recreation Center and dedicated it on February 28, 1942. After the war ended, the Town of Jamestown bought the building for $30,000.